The American newspaper “Axios” reported that, according to secret intelligence information, Cuba had purchased more than 300 attack drones and had begun discussing their use against the American military base in Guantanamo Bay, American ships, and possibly the city of Key West in Florida, located 145 kilometers from Havana.
A senior US official told the newspaper that intelligence shows how the Donald Trump administration views Cuba as a threat due to the development of drone technology, as well as the presence of Iranian military advisors in Havana.
“When we consider that technology like this is so close, and the range of attackers that ranges from terrorist groups to drug cartels to Iranians and Russians, this is concerning. This is a growing threat,” the official said.
CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Cuba on May 14 and bluntly warned local officials that military action would not be tolerated. A CIA spokesman said Ratcliffe made clear that Cuba “can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries promoting hostile agendas in the Western Hemisphere.”
The intelligence provided, as Axios wrote, could become a pretext for US military action against Cuba. Earlier this week, it became known that American reconnaissance aircraft sharply increased their activity off the coast of Cuba – the same was observed before US military operations in Venezuela and Iran.
